Friday, April 16, 2004

The Joy Of Knitting

Here is something from a new blog I found today that sums up the situation beautifully.
"Anti Americanism
About a year ago I happened to talk with an acquaintance of mine, a teacher of Belles Lettres, and she expressed her distaste for American culture. She said it lacked depth. I replied that I had read several works by Americans and that I didn't find them superficial. At which she insisted, and I asked her if she had ever actually read anything written by an American, to which she replied "Not really". "Not really what? Almost, but not quite, or never?" I went on, feeling terribly nasty indeed, and stated quoting some well known authors. Henry David Thoreau? Herman Melville? Edgar Allan Poe? Henry James? Edith Wharton? "Not really, no." Not even oft quoted poets? Walt Whitman? Emily Dickinson? "Ehm, no."
Then she she said solemnly, "I don't need to know American culture to understand that it's worthless."
This, in a nutshell, is the essence of European anti-americanism. A mixture of ignorance, arrogance, and prejudice. I always thought that to judge a culture you need to know it, at least a bit. But no, why waste time when superciliousness can do your work for you?
I quote this episode because it illustrates a feeling quite common over here. Americans are superficial. They lack depth. They lack complexity. And so, no matter what they do, they're always wrong. Better sit gracefully on a fence than actually do something, it's so vulgar."


I don't love or hate America any more than anyone else but this Anti-American bullshit attitude that is so common now really shits me. Next time some dickhead starts sprouting their crap, do what this person did and take them to task. Ask them to justify their stance without using cliche's. I do this regularly and it is surprising how few people have any reasoning that is based on fact or research. They tend to just regurgitate the same old leftist crap without any of their own thought at all.
It seems to be that anti-Americanism has become a fashion accessory.

No comments: